The present work is one of two orchestral trios which were published in the set of Six Symphonies Op. 4 by Huberty in 1758. The title page of the publication reads: "SIX / SYMPHONIES /- QUATRE PARTIES OBLIGES / avec les Haut-bois o Fltes / Et Cors de Chasses, Compris deux Trios qui sont faits pour / excuter a Trois o en plein Orqustre. /COMPOSES PAR Mr STAMITZ. / Mis au jour par HUBERTI. / OEUVRE IV..." The first movement has a driving intensity which looks backward to the Baroque, and, in some measure, anticipates the highly-charged emotional world of the 'Sturm und Drang' symphonies of Vanhal, Dittersdorf and Haydn. Something of this intensity survives in the rather sinister Minuet & Trio and in the vigorous 3/8 finale.
This edition is based on a copy of the Huberty print now in the possession of The Library of Congress. The notation of articulation and dynamic markings has been standardised throughout, and, when missing from the source, reconstructed from parallel passages. These are indicated by the use of dotted slurs or brackets where appropriate. Like most eighteenth-century sources, the Huberty print is somewhat inconsistent in its notation of appoggiature; these have also been standardised to minimise confusion. Obvious wrong notes have been silently corrected; otherwise, any editorial emendation with no authority from the source is placed within brackets.