Symphony in E flat major, Op. 4, No. 4 (Wolf E flat 4)
Year of Publication:
2ob 2cor 2vn va vc/b
Score: Spiral / Parts: Unbound
E flat major
The six symphonies published in Paris by Huberty in 1758 as Opus 4 include two of the composer's orchestral trios (Wolf Cm 1 and Gm 1). There maining works appear to have been composed over a period of approximately seven years: the earliest work in the group is probably Op.4 No.4 (ca.1750-1753) while the second - styled Sinfonia Pastorale - may be among the last symphonies Stamitz wrote. The two trios also appear to be late works and may have been written after the composer's return to Mannheim. The title page of the set reads: "SIX /SYMPHONIES /- QUATRE PARTIES OBLIGES / avec les Haut-bois o Fltes / Et Cors de Chasses, Compris deux Trios qui sont faits pour / excuter a Trois o en plein Orqustre. /COMPOSES PAR Mr STAMITZ. / Mis au jour par HUBERTI. / OEUVRE IV..." According to Wolf, the present work - which appears as the first in the set dates from ca.1752-1754.
In the absence of the autograph score and an authentic set of parts this edition presents as faithfully as possible the intentions of the composer as transmitted in the Huberty print. The notation of articulation and dynamic markings has been standardised throughout, and, when missing from the source, reconstructed from parallel passages. These are indicated by the use of dotted slurs or brackets where appropriate. Like most eighteenth-century sources, the Huberty print is somewhat inconsistent in its notation of appoggiature; these have also been standardised to minimise confusion. Obvious wrong notes have been silently corrected; otherwise, any editorial emendation with no authority from the source is placed within brackets.